Thursday, December 28, 2006

Seasonal Greetings, Pop-Pickers!

The holiday is drawing to an end, and I am already starting to dread the return to the British winter, especially the bit where it starts getting dark mid-afternoon! I think December trips to Australia should be free on the NHS (well, not for everyone, only for James and me, in fact). I am also starting to feel very proud of myself for not giving into Ryan's invitation (with accompanying puppy-dog eyes) to spend our first week back in the UK in a freezing cold castle, for a massively discounted price due to the fact that it does not have any form of heating! Those crazy Canadians and their crazy holiday ideas!


Things I will miss about Australia:

1. James beating up his brothers. Coming from an all-girlie sisterhood, this particular fraternal pastime has come as something of a revelation to me. They are like puppies continually assessing their hierarchy in the pack by play-fighting. James, despite the long absence, is still top dog. Duncan nearly passed out yesterday because he refused to tap-out when caught in some sort of painful leg-lock. If you look at this picture carefully, you can see that Rowan's shoulder is about to become dislocated. He, however, was wise enough to tap out 2 seconds after this picture was taken. He's the youngest so is probably used to being beaten up and having to submit.

2. The possums scurrying across our bedroom roof at night. The sounds of their little scratchy feet and their territorial grunts have become strangely soothing at night. Much better than the dawn chorus which sounds like a variety of different creatures going on a murderous rampage and letting out blood-curdling screams right outside our bedroom window!

3. Daily trips to the beach. Even when we have had long study days there has still been time for a quick trip to the sea to revive our spirits, and 5 minutes at the beach is enough to remind me that we are on holiday. And I'm very proud of myself for having managed to evade all those sharks.

4. Seeing James be an Australian. When we are in Oz, he says 'G'day' to people and calls them 'mate'.

5. My new family. I've grown very fond of them all!

Things I will not miss about Oz

1. Tim-Tams - I've decided they are nowhere nearly as scrummy as Penguin biscuits.

2. The dawn chorus.

3. That's about it really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home