Friday, July 27, 2007

Hurrah for Broadband - hurrah!

Well, it has been quite a while, hasn't it? The main event that has happened since I became bereft of a fast internet connection was our graduation. There are a million photos on Facebook if you fancy having a look at them. It was a fantastic day, far better than anything I had expected. We were given drinks and lunch at college, then walked into town (in the middle of the road! with all that traffic, and all those tourists taking our photos!) until we arrived at the Senate House, where we had our degree ceremony. It was all very Cambridge, and it made me very emotional - for the first time since I arrived 3 years ago I felt like I had really achieved something special. Standing in the Senate House I was reminded that this had been my dream for all those years beforehand, and a dream that I never thought I would get to fulfil. And yet there I was, kneeling in my gown listening to incomprehensible Latin being spoken by someone who looked like he was dressed up as Santa Clause, presumably telling me I was becoming a graduate!

I want to write about the friends I've made over the past three years, the fact that we are scattering all over the globe and how we'll be friends for ever and ever, but I'm vomit-inducingly emotional about the whole thing at the moment, so I'll end here!

[I think all the jam-making may be displacement activity: if I make enough mixed fruit jam and redcurrant jelly I can ignore the fact that I'm moving to the other side of the world while my wife is either moving to York or going travelling and Dr A is moving to Antarctica. Does anybody have any spare gooseberries or blackcurrants they don't need??]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home