Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Are All Beautiful Things Essentially Flawed?

Today we had our first lecture of the year with our favourite Dreamy Medieval Lecturer. I went to all his lectures last year and very cleverly wrote my notes in shorthand: however, instead of writing them up at a later date as intended, I ended up throwing them away by mistake during a particularly brutal clear-out during the Christmas holidays (nearly as daft as Simone, who wrote one of her lecture notes on a particularly beautiful leaf - which disintegrated some months later). The end result of my incompetence is not an entirely unhappy one - it simply means I must attend his lectures all over again. Today, I decided to sit right at the front of the lecture hall so that I could admire him in all his beauty. Only it turns out he's not quite so beautiful as I thought he was: for one thing, he has a very squished nose. He must have got into a bit of a medieval punch-up in a pub at some stage of his life (probably in a disagreement over the importance of the liturgical calendar in Chaucer's writings, I should imagine). And his hair colour is definitely out of a bottle. Result: I'm sitting towards the back from now on, where I can admire him in a less critical light. Because from about 6 rows back, he really is a perfectly dreamy academic. And his lectures are pretty good too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home