Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Jetlagged New Year Musings

It's 4 am and I have no hope of getting any more sleep, seeing as I went to bed at 6 pm. We saw in 2007 at Bangkok airport, shortly before reboarding our flight to Heathrow. My first few hours back on English soil were not good, seeing as Qantas managed to poison me with the breakfast that they served shortly before landing. The one New Year's Eve when I don't touch a drop of alcohol, and Vomiting Veronica pays a visit regardless! Happy 2007 everyone!

We had a wonderful month away, enjoyed the sunshine, read lots of books (Chaucer, mainly: a much better travel companion than I would have previously suspected!) and had a great time being part of Jamie's Australian family. But it's so good to be home. We came back to one of Cambridge's more heart-warming winter days - blue sky, a chill, bracing breeze and a slight whiff of bonfires in the air. As we drove past Lamasland (long green grass and winding river stretching out to the horizon), past the old terraced cottages of Newnham Village and through our college gates, I realised that I feel more at home in Cambridge and in this little flat than I have ever felt anywhere else. This could, of course, have something to do with the man by my side. But the upshot of this mini epiphany is this: no New Year's resolutions this year. 2007 may not have started in the best way possible, but it's easy to think that when you've got your head stuck down an airport toilet: life is good; I don't want it to change one little bit (although I may consider taking my own food next time I do a long-haul flight...)

Happy 2007 mes amis!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home