Friday, February 17, 2006

Things we used to believe part 2

After an e-mail from Megan, I have two more things to add to the list:

1. If you go outside with wet hair you'll catch a cold (I still believe this, and it seems logical, but it may be another case of brainwashing - answers on a postcard please)

2. If you eat Brussels sprouts your hair will go curly. Well, it certainly worked for me.

Megan also pointed out that she is guilty of perpetuating the myth by instilling the same beliefs in her own children. I can't wait to have kids of my own so I can carry on the good work (and invent a few new ones to boot).

2 Comments:

Blogger Murphy said...

From Sophie:

Nan also told me that the reason the bald swimmer Duncan Goodhew has no hair was that he fell out of a tree as a child. Having recently fallen out of a tree myself at the time, I was a little concerned and monitored my hair
daily.

I still believe the coat one!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Murphy said...

From Mad Irish Julie:

Hi bex,

If you chew on your hair, it will form a ball in your stomach and will
have to be removed in an operation. Apparently this happened to a girl
in england and it looked like a birds' nest (granny).

The names of greenland, which is icy, and iceland, which is green, were swapped by the romans to encourage people to live there (dad).

Haggis is a small, hairy scottish animal that runs sideways round the
highlands and therefore has two legs shorter than the other (dad again).

If you leave the immersion on, the boiler will explode (everyone until a german engineer I was going out with calmly and methodically debunked
the theory).

Liver and kidneys are good for you (mum, dad, granny).

The devil spends much of his time looking for children's souls to
possess (particularly scary Sunday school).

On the wet hair theory, I was told that too. Apparently it's just that
having a cold head could weaken you and leave you vulnerable to viruses.
I never dry my hair and am relatively healthy.

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home