Thursday, January 11, 2007

Windswept

My, what a blustery day it was today! As the wind forcibly shoved me towards the Tower of Darkness (aka the university library), the person walking towards me seemed to be walking in slow motion, the skin on his face stretched flat from the effort of walking against the wind. Meanwhile, across the road, a hapless student was seen trying to fish his essay out of a rather large puddle by poking it with a long stick. We all exchanged rather rueful smiles, as we English people often do when the weather becomes challenging. And thus it came to pass that I was smiling when I arrived at the library this morning. But not for long - oh no! Roland Barthes soon put a stop to that! I copied out a sentence for you all to share - and please bear in mind I have 250 pages of this stuff to read:

"The classical text, therefore, is actually tabular (and not linear), but its tabularity is vectorized, it follows a logico-temporal order."

Well, I'm glad we've got that sorted! We wouldn't want to be labouring under the misapprehension that a classical text is linear, vectorized or unvectorized, let alone with or without following a logico-temporal order.

When I read anything by Barthes, it automatically means I have to read two books simultaneously: the book of his in question, and a large dictionary. Do you think my tabularity might be vectorized?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home