Monday, February 26, 2007

The Final Countdown

James is officially Writing Up. He intends to submit his PhD dissertation at the end of this week. This means that the past week has been spent furiously typing, drinking copious amounts of coffee and swearing (he's so good at swearing. I truly adore him). His week, that is. My week has been spent mainly snotting, coughing and swearing, drinking Lemsip instead of coffee. The flat is a bomb site - if we had children, social services would, without any doubt whatsoever, take them away from us if they saw the state of this flat. If our bedder were to see it (which she won't because we're so ashamed we're not allowing her access at the moment), she would probably think we'd been burgled and call the police. I hesitate to make such a sweeping comment, but I do believe that the flat is in more of a mess than my hair. Shocking stuff, I know.

And the really annoying thing is, that no sooner will James be free of his academic burden, than my panic begins - the Easter break is just around the corner, which means it's time to start revising. Revising! That isn't what I came here for! I came here with the specific dual aims of (a) snogging boys, and (b) drinking beer. I'm proud to say I have achieved both, but still view both objectives as works in progress (even though there's only one boy I want to snog, of course).

What we are all looking forward to, undergrads and PhD students alike, however, is the Summer of Love. Me, James and Ryan are planning to do ... wait for it ... FUCK ALL! In fact, I think Ryan has already started prematurely, having submitted last week - rumour has it, that while we have been hidden away writing up/being ill, he has completed his PhD draft and started on a new all-consuming computer game that is set to take over his entire life. Given that the only two computer games I can play are solitaire and tetris, I don't think I'm going to go down this route myself. I shall probably go to the pub instead.

Plans for the summer of love

- G&Ts in a variety of fields/riverside venues/gardens
- Pub lunches, and plenty of 'em
- Afternoon rumpy pumpy
- Laughing, skipping and singing, preferably with our pants on our heads
- Tea and cake, at a variety of smashing venues, starting with the Orchard
- Barbecues in the college garden
- Real ales in a variety of pub gardens
- Trips to the sea-side

The list is a work in progress. I think I may need to fine-tune it by adding more drinking, eating and shagging possibilities. But you get the general idea. Anyone care to join us?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home