Thursday, February 01, 2007

Yes, it has gone rather quiet here, hasn't it?

I had to stop procrastinating and write the blasted essays, I'm afraid. My Shakespeare one was a blinder - I wrote all about the witches in Macbeth and compared them to the chorus in a Greek tragedy. The supervisor picked apart my grammar and took issue with various words and phrases, especially one about the 'perceived gender identity' that the witches transgress. 'In whose perception?', she asked, somewhat defensively. I started faltering, wanting to say that they were described in pretty unattractive terms but realising I was dealing with someone who would probably fight to the death for the witches' right to represent femininity in any light they damn well pleased, lost my nerve. 'In what ways, pray tell, do they digress gender norms?' she asked, as though feminism was something had passed me by unnoticed as I was shoe-shopping one day. 'Well...', I answered '... you can say what you like about any other feature of their physical description, but women really aren't supposed to have beards, now, are they?'.

Was that sexist of me? Do I need to be sent for ideological re-programming? Or do I, perhaps, just need to nuance my essays to avoid political/ideological discussions of this nature (perhaps by deftly avoiding the whole issue of facial hair) in the future?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home