Thursday, March 23, 2006

End of an Era

The reason for my recent silence in the world of blogging is that Nan died on Saturday. She was 93, and had a heart attack. It has been a sad few days, organising the funeral, especially with a family of ill people (both the Lawn and Williams households have been stricken by bugs of varying degrees of nastiness). I'm back in Cambridge now, but will be going back to Suffolk for the funeral on Tuesday. It's going to be a very inappropriate affair. We're burying Nan in the morning, in a private commital just for family - and honorary family - members. Then we're having a service of thanksgiving for her life. The funeral will open with the song "Bring me sunshine" and the vicar has promised to skip down the aisle Morcombe and Wise style. We want bright colours and laughter. Which is good, seeing as I usually laugh my arse off at funerals anyway (it's a nervous reaction, and I can't help it - but this time it could get me into serious trouble seeing as I'm reading the eulogy!).

Nan will be missed. She lived with us from the year that I was born and only went into a home when she needed more constant care than my parents could give last year. The last time I saw her she was laughing her arse off because, as she put it "some bugger" had nicked her false teeth! And for those of you who eat my cakes and have to wear my knitted goods, you have her to thank!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home