Monday, March 06, 2006

Pushing the Boundaries - or climbing over them

I did the Cambridge Boundary Run half marathon yesterday. The full run was the 23 miles of the Cambridge boundary but there was also a half marathon option for the lightweights. It was the strangest run I've ever done. We were presented with a waterproof map and booklet of directions upon registration and the run involved climbing over gates and fences, crossing a railway line and running through deep and slippery mud and through fields of sheep. I got lost several times, including right at the end, when I nearly took a (very) wrong turn within sight of the finish line. The run took me 2.07 - I usually do the distance in just under two hours but I consider this quite a good time given the circumstances!

James joined me on his bike for the last 5 miles. I don't think he quite knew what he was letting himself in for, and I think the cycling ended up being more difficult than the running, as it entailed hurling his bike over fences and then climbing over himself, only to have to negotiate muddy and bumpy fields. He aches as much as I do today. We've just had a 2 hour afternoon nap.

And now I have to go to a supervision about medieval dream poetry. Why me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home